About This Station
This station is powered by a Acu-rite 5-in-1 Pro weather sensor model 6014RM weather station. The data is collected every 5 seconds and the site is updated every 5 minutes. This site and its data is collected using Weather Display Software. The station comprises of an anemometer, rain gauge and a thermo-hydro sensor .
About Middlebury CT.
Incorporated in 1807 from former Southbury, Waterbury, and Woodbury lands, the town of Middlebury located in New Haven County town took its name from its location in the midst, or middle, of these communities.
Agriculture, with supporting small industries such as blacksmithing, provided Middlebury’s early economic base.
The 1800s saw the rise of textile mills and small factories but by the 1900s, these had declined and dairying and raising saddle horses predominated.
Middlebury is also home to the Westover School for girls, founded in 1909 by Mary Robbins Hillard, and designed by Theodate Riddle Pope, one of the first women architects in the US.
Quassy was not always the amusement park it is today.
Native Americans once populated this large area. The Native Americans translated Lake Quassapaug to "Big Pond" or "Big Rock".
In colonial days King George (1690-1770) granted one Abel Wheeler control of the lake. During this time a fisherman could rent a boat and leave his horse in a stall with plenty of hay for as little as 50˘ a day.
Fisherman enjoyed the lake because they claimed that they caught fish by the buckets full.
By 1888, a man named Mr. Richards opened a Grove House. Clambakes became his specialty and only non-alcoholic drinks were sold.
In 1905, the sea wall was put in and the Wallace Hotel replaced Mr. Richard's Grove House. By 1908, a trolley line was put through Middlebury and Lake Quassapaug became a summer resort.
It featured swimming, a picnic grove, dancing and a carousel.
In 1937, three Waterbury businessmen, John Frantzis, Mike Leon, and George Terezakis, bought the property.
They soon added other attractions including paddleboats and restored the carousel.
Within the next few years a hot dog stand and a tearoom were added. Roller skating also became popular in the huge open-air dance hall, which was built in 1915.
It was after World War II that Quassy established itself as a full-fledged amusement park with the addition of more rides.
In 1952 the park purchased a complete kiddyland ride package from the Allan Herschell Company of North Tonawanda, N.Y.
Some History About Waterbury CT.
The original Indian name for the area was 'Matetacoke' (meaning poorly wooded area) and this original settlement at Mattatuck would be named Waterbury upon official recognition by the General Court as the 28th town in the state of Connecticut. Having been established out of Farmington, Waterbury was originally part of Hartford County, but in May 1728 became part of New Haven County as it remains today.
1674 A group of 31 came from Farmington to establish a settlement at the Indian village called 'Matetacoke' (now the Town Plot section of Waterbury)
1675 Early settlers retreat to Farmington at the onset of King Philip's War
1677 Settlers from Farmington return and establish the settlement of Mattatuck east of the Great River (Naugatuck) around center square (The Green in downtown Waterbury)
15 May 1686 The villiage of Mattatuck incorporates as the township of Waterbury and becomes the 28th town officially recognized by the General Court of Connecticut
1691 A great flood hits the Waterbury area
May 1728 Waterbury becomes part of New Haven County (formerly had been considered part of Hartford County given that it was settled from Farmington)
1756 First recorded population of Waterbury was 1,829 residents
1782 Waterbury tax lists show just 310 dwellings
1803 Colonel William Leavenworth becomes the first postmaster as the city gets its own Post Office
1811 Leavenworth, Hayden & Scovill was established (later Scovill Manufacturing Company)
1849 Railroads arrive
1849 Daguerreotypes invented in France; within months Scovill was manufacturing plates and cases for this new photographic process and would become the leading provider of equipment in the country
1853 Waterbury incorporates as a city (population 5,137)
Main article: Timex Group USA, Inc.
The Waterbury Clock Company buildings on Cherry Ave. were constructed in 1857. By the end of the 19th century, the company employed 3,000 workers and turned out 20,000 clocks and watches a day. The Great Depression sent the Waterbury Clock Co. into receivership, and the company was eventually purchased by Thomas Olsen (owner and operator of Fred. Olsen Shipping Co.) and Joakim Lehmkuhl of Norway during WWII to aid in the war effort becoming the largest producer of fuse timers for precision defense products in the United States. The company was renamed the United States Time Corporation in 1944 following its wartime success. Manufacturing operations here ceased when production was moved to a new factory in Middlebury, CT in 1942, and the buildings now house several small businesses. The company still operates today as Timex Group USA, Inc. maintaining its headquarters in Middlebury.
13 Aug 1863 Civil War hero Colonel John L. Chatfield buried in Riverside Cemetery
1869 Waterbury's first City Hall opened facing the green, between Leavenworth and Lewis Streets
1877 Waterbury's first telephones installed (wires run between Dr. Charles Rodman's office at Waterbury National Bank to his home on Prospect Street
23 Oct 1884 The Soldiers Monument was unveiled at the west end of the green
12 Mar 1888 The 'Blizzard of 88' hits Connecticut and blankets Waterbury with 50 inches of snow in a 48-hour period
1902 A devastating fire destroys the center of Waterbury.
1912 Waterbury City Hall burned to the ground
1915 The new City Hall on Grand Street, designed by Cass Gilbert, is dedicated
1918 Waterbury is among the hardest hit cities in the state, with more than 1,200 deaths reported due to an influenza epidemic
National Banks were authorized to print and distribute their own "national currency" in the early 1900s. This 1929 $20 bill was from the Citizens and Manufacturers National Bank on Leavenworth St.
1939 The Republican-American is awarded the Pulitzer Gold Medal (joining just 2 other New England papers - Boston Post, 1921 and the Boston Globe in 1966
19 Aug 1955 The great flood of '55 is one of the most devastating natural events ever recorded in the history of Waterbury
Nov 1960 U.S. Senator John F. Kennedy visits the city as part of his presidential campaign and is greeted by a crowd of 40,000 on The Green
24 May 1962 Tornado hits the city of Waterbury
1970 U.S. Federal Census figures place Waterbury as the 5th largest city in Connecticut (population 108,033) .
Some Really Cool Waterbury History Links
Waterbury History waterburyct.webs.com
Waterbury History GreaterWaterbury.com
Waterbury History mattatuckmuseum.org
About This Website
Template is originally based on Designs by Haran.